Thursday, September 25, 2008

French Onion Soup

It was the first real day of autumn today. High 61 degrees, windy and rainy. Bella was a huge freak and would not go outside and everytime I did manage to lure her out into the yard she started trembling all over from the wind/rain/temperature. It was a soup day. In the past week I have wasted many a grocery dollar preparing soups that my dear, bed-ridden husband has not eaten. Two of them were nasty...the third was fabulous, rich and delicious. And he couldn't even choke down a cup-full. French Onion soup is something that I just know how to make. I have never followed a recipe for it--I have just always known how to make it. And it is fantastic. So here is my "recipe"--or at least a close approximation to what I throw into the soup pot.

3 TBSP butter
5 large sweet onions (vidalia)
salt
pepper
granulated garlic
3 TBSP flour
1 cup white wine
2 boxes beef stock
1 tsp thyme
grated parmesean cheese

Saute the onions with salt, pepper and garlic in the butter. Cover them and let them cook on medium heat until water has been drawn out of the onions. Uncover and cook on medium until brown and carmelized. This will take a long time, 45min-1 hour. Once they are browned sprinkle with flour. Let cook for about 2 minutes. Slowly add wine, stirring well, so it does not become lumpy. Add beef stock and thyme. Simmer on Medium-Low heat for 2 hours. Add salt, pepper and/or thyme and parmesean cheese as desired to taste.

The flour is a new addition to the recipe. It gives the broth some extra body and smoothness. Also, if you finely grate your parmesean cheese, add about a 1/4 slowly into the broth while you stir. This will also add some thickness. However, if the cheese is not finely grated or added to quickly it will just melt together and sink to the bottom of the pot. I also put any leftover parmesean cheese rinds I have (yes, I am a freak and save my rinds) to simmer with the soup. That trick is also good for spaghetti sauce!

Enjoy the cooler weather and have some soup (or save some time and go to Panera and get the Creamy Tomato Soup with Asiago Croutons!)!!

1 comment:

thedooligans4 said...

this looks good... similiar to my own recipe... which is actually from the 70s from a friend of my mom when they lived in washington state. I thought the same thing about your layout... it does not seem like you to me. Funny.
But I do like both layouts! Miss you. thanks for posting the recipe! i am going to make it probably this weekend. Have had a mad craving for french onion soup lately.