Our refridgerator broke. Seriously. Apparently there was a power surge Saturday evening that fried the computer that keeps the fridge running and cool. So, everything in the freezer thawed and everything in the fridge got, well, warm. We couldn't call anyone until this morning (because of Labor Day), so we went two days without a refridgerator. We filled our small cooler with ice to keep some milk cold (I would be very grumpy without milk for my Lucky Charms), and I cooked up the three pounds of organic ground beef I had purchased the day before. It wasn't until I was halfway through cooking the meat that I began to wonder what I was going to do with it--I mean that is A LOT of tacos!! So, that also went into our cooler.
Today, the very nice repairman came and fixed our fridge in about 10 minutes--for $286!!! Apparently, the part is very pricey! After he left, with our life savings in his pocket (sad, but true) I took the kids to Walmart to buy repacements. I was so careful, trying to be thrifty but it still cost $150 to get everything we needed (it didn't help that the kids had eaten everything we had out of the pantry since they did not have the fridge to rifle through as well!). Finally, I came home with all my goods and had the job of cleaning out the fridge and freezer. Three black trash bags later I wiped down all the shelves (except for one crisper drawers which has the remains of a liquified zucchini in it--that one I left for Jeremy!). So, now we are all well-stocked again (or least enough to get us through.
It's amazing how, just when you think you might not be entirely broke something like this comes along (not to mention, a mere 4 weeks after we spent $200 to fix our garbage disposal...boo.). Sigh.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment