Monday, September 22, 2008

Fond Memories



I think that I have written before about my sensitivity to smells. Often I will catch a whiff of something (such as Vanilla Field perfume, or Love Spell body spray) and it whisks me right back to a certain moment in time. I have two foods that are similar in their hold over me. The first is raspberries. As soon as a I pop a sweet raspberry into my mouth I am transported back to one of my happiest childhood memories--being with my grandpa and picking the sweet berries off the bramble that he had in his backyard when they lived in Waterdown. I have so many beautiful memories of him at that house and everytime I eat a raspberry my heart is flooded with a warm feeling of love and I remember my grandpa as the man he was to me. He was the epitomy of love--he was so proud of everything I did. I never for one moment doubted the fact that my grandpa loved me more then anything. I see tiger lilies and I think of him. I remember feeding apples and carrots to the hosr that lived next door when he lived on Britannia Rd. I remember his sayings, some of which echo in my mind regularly ("If you're going to do a job, do it right!"). No matter what anyone says, to me he was a perfect man--the perfect grandpa.




The second food is real, PRUE maple syrup. I will alwasy remember going to Bronte Creek or Black Creek Pioneer Village as a kid in the winter and eating pancakes with freshly made syrup. When there was snow on the ground they would take the boiling sugar and throw it on the snow creating a sweet, delicious, amber-colored chewy candy. Delicious. At one point I tried tapping the maple tree in our front yard to make my own syrup. It was a huge disappointment to me that our maple tree was not, in fact, a sugar maple. Bummer.




Where, oh where did this rant come from? The maple leaves on my blog layout. Just made me thing of maple sugar season and raspberries. My favorite foods.

No comments: