Friday, September 19, 2008

Jeremy...Doing Better

Wow. A bad week for sure. But it's looking up!

When I went in to see Jeremy on Wednesday morning he was looking much better then when I had left him late Tuesday night. Which wouldn't take much! He actually had some color on his face and they had taken him off the cPap machine (which was breathing for him) and put him on plain oxygen. He was relieved to be off the machine...and anxious about going back on it. I spent the day beside him. Late in the afternoon they moved him out of ICU to a bed upstairs. That was both a relief and anxiety. Jeremy got a bit nervous when he wasn't being monitered all the time. But after a couple of hours they decided to try and wean him off the oxygen. He was without it for about 30 minutes before he started to have a hard time catching his breath. Sure enough, when the nurse took his vitals his oxygen level had slipped down so they put him back on the mask. That night I stayed with him--I wanted to make sure that he had an advocate next to him to make sure he had the things he needed.

We expected Jeremy to be in the hospital for one more night to make sure that he was okay during the night without oxygen. However, with all the trauma is throat had been through the doctors were even more worried about him being exposed to hospital germs then his breathing. So when his chest x-ray showed up much more clear then the night before they gave us the all clear to go home. I will say all of us (me, my mom, his mom, his dad) were all a little concerned about him going home so early--however, I talked to Jeremy and he said that he felt comfortable going home. He really wanted to be in his own bed.

So, he's been home for 18 hours and is doing well. His shortness of breath is pretty much gone, except when he exerts himself. His throat and head hurt, but he is taking his pain medication regularly to help with that. Aside from that he is just exhausted. His body has had to work so hard the past few days--every breath was work. He has actually already lost 13 lbs...this made him smile this morning! His eyes are bloodshot, he burst some blood vessels when trying to breathe in the operating room and his hair is standing STRAIGHT up...but he is enjoying having total control of the remote!

Thanks for thinking of us.

1 comment:

thedooligans4 said...

I am so glad. It was so scary. He wins the prize on the worst surgery complication story ever, I think! I hope he continues to get better each minute.