Well, I went up to bed already, but here I am not only awake but on the computer. Sigh. It must be so easy to be a guy...it seems like they just go up to bed and bam! just like that their minds turn off. Or at least that's how Jeremy's seems to work.
After wandering dowstairs I putzed around in the kitchen and then decided to wash my hands. I have this Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar handsoap that I use in the kitchen. Usually I am so busy doing other stuff when I wash my hands I don't notice the scent but in the silence tonight I caught it. It smelled like 9th grade. I think this is something else that most men don't do, but I am very perceptive of smells. I can smell something and associate it with a specific time and/or event in my life. Jamie and I have talked about this at length and we both are the same. And we both associate the scent of Vanilla Fields perfume with 9th grade. I have a specific memory of Jamie, Donna and I getting ready for church one Sunday morning in 9th grade--Donna bustled into Jamie's room in a black suit/dress with her hair sprayed and lipstick on and picking up Jamie's bottle of the much-loved perfume and just spraying herself like a crazy person! Jamie's room was literally transformed into a cloud of vanilla sweetness.
Good and bad, the memories of 9th grade are generally enveloped in a mist of Vanilla Fields. We LOVED that perfume. Holy crap, we all wore it all the time! Now, the smell is not repulsive, but it just immediately brings back to mind a certain time and place....I could never wear that scent now. Not because it brings back any bad feelings, but when it comes down to it, Vanilla Fields was for 9th grade--14 years later I have moved into a new cloud. It will be interesting to see how I feel when I smell Burberry Touch fourteen years from now...
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Vanilla Fields was my FAVORITE!!! but I agree, as nice as it smells, it's just so 'juvenille' lol. Smells affect me the same way...it'll just bring me back in time...usually to all good memories, luckily!
Post a Comment