Friday, January 23, 2009

Kids = Dogs??

The past few days my mind has been swirling--this always happens when I have a lot of things going on. This week I have been in a constant state of "what-if" and that just overstimulates my poor, simple mind. Today, I was getting really agitated with my kids--Henry was throwing a fit and hitting Jackie over and over again and Jackie just sat there and then finally let out a blood-curdling scream. In Jackie's defense, at least he didn't hit Henry back--I think I would have had it been me. All I wanted was for the kids to get out of the car and go inside so I could make them lunch. A seemingly simple task, but once you have children you realize NOTHING is as simple as it sounds, especially not when you are distracted or irritable, or in my case, BOTH! As I am yelling at the kids in get inside and stop screaming (kind of an oxymoron to be screaming at your kids to stop screaming...) and balancing my lovely Raulph Lauren bag (courtesy of Jamie), a paper bag overflowing with groceries, and a box of organic milk from Costco, a neighbor walks by with her two dogs. She and her husband do not have kids, just these two dogs. The dogs are their life. They totally consider themselves parents...of dogs. This woman said nothing to me today, yet in my overagitated state I wanted to scream across the street at her "Dogs are nothing like children!! NOTHING!!!!". Luckily, I realized this would have made me look crazy and I refrained. But ever since I have been thinking about those kind of people. I was totally one of those people before we had kids. Bailey was our baby--I thought I could never love anything as much as I loved that little terrier. Turns out, kids are a whole 'nuther ball game.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

This is so true! I don't know how you do it. And people wonder why I'm sticking to cats...

Do know that I don't have little sweater vests for my felines, though. I'm not that kind of person.

Love to you!

:)