...that is what I have been thinking about 1 million times a night when I am at Bahama Breeze. It's wierd...because I have always kind of enjoyed waiting tables. I enjoy working with a diverse group of people, I usually enjoy my guests, and I enjoy giving people a pleasant dinner experience--at Bahama Breeze we call it the Escape--we create an atmosphere of Carribean escape enabling our guests to get in an island state of mind. But now, with every step I take, I think "God, I can't do this." I think it is because of the promise of a job interview next week. It's wierd (again), because when I committed to Bahama Breeze I promised them I would be there for 6 months. When I committed, I really wanted to be honest with them and hold up my end. I waited to make sure I had followed up on all my leads and when I was suffenciently satisfied that I could promise 6 months of my life to Bahama Breeze, I gave them a call. Two days later I got a call from a church in Durham. I had applied for the job before I even left Sunrise and I hadn't bothered to follow up with them, because I thought I might be a little underqualified (in their mind) and they were a Presbyterian church. I am a Methodist.
So, after I listened to the message on my machine (about 5 minutes after I got home from Florida), I gave Artie a call. He proceeded to interview me over the phone. I guess that went well, because then he asked me to come in for an interview with the whole search committee. I was ecstatic...but also a little torn because I hate to be dishonest. However, right now I don't care too much about being dishonest, because all I really want is to not work at Bahama Breeze. My kids hate it--especially Charlie who cries every time I leave. I know this is only going to get worse when he starts school next week, and I will be leaving for work within an hour of him getting home from school.
I am praying so hard that I will be the right fit for this position in Durham. It sounds like a dream after talking to Artie...but as I well know, everything is not always as great as it sounds in an interview. I will be attending church there this Sunday to get a feel for things, and I defiently (I know this is spelled wrong...it is one of those words that I just can't spell!) plan to have a conversation with just the pastor before I accept any position--not that I will most likely be offered. I know it's a long shot, but I can't help to have my hopes up.
I'm tired.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yeah, I keep thinking about you waiting tables and I just feel so bad. It just does not seem like the right place for you to be. I am praying about the job at the Pres. church. Whatever happens, I hope you can keep your humor and sanity in place until you get a ministry position. I know it must be so hard. I love you and I am sorry you have to be where you are. I hope it either gets easier or something else comes along. Sigh.
Post a Comment