Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chosen

John 1:10-13 (New International Version)
10He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of natural descent,[a] nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.

I struggled with this passage--even though it is one I have either heard or read dozens of times, it felt complicated for my little mind! The idea that God sent his Son, sent Jesus, to a family of believers that were supposed to be expecting him and they didn't receive him. As they lay in wait for a king they rejected the one that came to save them. So, I am sure that probably sucked for Jesus, but He moved on. He moved on the fishermen, who would become fishers of men...he moved on to the blind, those with leprosy, possessed by demon...and he pulled those folks into his arms. He gave those people life--as the Scripture says, the right to become children of God. This was a descion made freely of any human descion or any husband's descion. I imagine that being pretty powerful in that day.

To think that God chose me...I come from a family of non-believers, I never knew anything about God or Jesus until I was going into high school. And yet each day, it is clear to me that I have been chosen, I have been called. Now I must live up to this calling...and that's the hard part.

No comments: