Thursday, December 4, 2008

Panic Attacks

I get panic attacks. It has been a rough week for me and panic--I'm not sure why, althoug my therapist wants me to record what I am thinking about, doing, etc...when I have one in order to try and figure out the route cause of the attacks. Right now, I am totally panicing. I thought it might relax me to blog--I've tried everything...medicine, reading, watching tv, but it just won't go away.
I had my first panic attack when I was in the 5th grade. I went to the movie theater with my grandma, mom and sister to see "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" The whole time we were watching the movie I was clutching my throat and fighting the urge to run out of the room. After that, I didn't have another until the seventh grade. It was in seventh and eighth grade that they got really bad. Several times a week, I would just run out of the classroom. I always told everyone that I was throwing up. I had no idea what the heck was wrong with me and I didn't tell anyone what was going on. It wasn't until the ninth grade when Jamie and I became BFF's that I began to realize there was really something wrong. Donna, Jamie's mom, had horrible panic attacks, especially when she was a young mom. That's when we realized what was wrong with me. Just intense anxiety that manifested itself in a fight-or-flight physical reaction. It was an embarrassing problem to have. I mean, i would regularly jump up without warning and flee from a room of situation. Inside malls, my heart would pound and I would start sweating.
My panic disorder is much more controlled now. I have generalized anxiety, but full on panic attacks happen fairly infrequently. I am better at controlling the emotion and physical reactions that come with the attacks--I rationally know that I am not going to die or be sick or anything, and this can help me to calm my thoughts and body. But they really suck.

No comments: